Kayaking is one of the best ways to experience nature while on the water. It’s definitely one of the more fun ways to get in a great workout. Since every kayak trip and kayak itself is different, however, having the best kayak seats will ensure your day is comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
Right after your life preserver, the most important piece of equipment for your kayak trip is your kayak seat. Since it’s where you’ll be spending the entire trip, it’s worth careful consideration. The right kayak seat will largely depend on what kind of kayaking you’ll be doing.
We took a look at some of the best kayak seat options available, no matter what kind of kayaking adventure you’re going on.
Recreational Kayaking: Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back
Recreational kayaking is for those who want a more laid back experience. A recreational kayak trip means paddling on calm water bodies such as lakes, ponds, and slow-moving rivers.
To fully enjoy this experience, you’ll want the Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back. A high backrest gives you plenty of support for long, leisurely stints while still giving you lumbar support for when you need to paddle. The thermo-molded form of the seat cushion contours to your body, elevating the seat from utility use to luxury.
The seat is easy to install and will fit most major brand kayaks.
Other features we love:
- The seat is made with UV-resistant nylon pack cloth.
- Brass clips make attaching it to most kayaks a breeze.
- The backrest is high enough to support your neck and your back.
- Since the thermo-molded foam contours to your body and distributes weight evenly, there are fewer pressure points and comfort is constant.
- The straps are adjustable for personalized comfort.
- A reflective logo adds extra safety by increasing visibility in low-light conditions.
Fishing: Skwoosh High Back Kayak Fishing Seat
As any angler knows, fishing involves a lot of patient sitting. You’ll need a seat that supports your neck and back but a cushion that’s as comfortable as your favorite chair at home.
The Skwoosh High Back Kayak Fishing Seat checks both those boxes and more. This kayak fishing seat is water resistant, so it won’t get smelly, even when the seat gets soaked from reeling in your catch. The high backrest offers stable support for your back and neck for those long sessions between nibbles. A TekPad gel cushion provides incredible, form-fitting comfort.
Other features that make this seat a fisherman’s best friend include:
- A non-slip bottom that keeps the seat securely in place on your kayak.
- A lumbar cushion integrated into the high backrest provides excellent back and neck support, as well as reduces fatigue.
- TheTekPad gel seat cushion is lightweight and durable while also ensuring superior cushioning and comfort.
- Adjustable straps mean this kayak seat can be personalized for anyone.
- Four built-in brass clips make attaching it to most kayaks a snap (literally).
Whitewater Kayaking: NRS Kayak Outfitter Seat
If you’re embarking on a whitewater kayaking adventure, you’ll need a seat that combines rugged durability with safety and comfort.
The NRS Kayak Outfitter Seat does all of the above and more. It’s built of tough nylon made for rough conditions. A non-slip bottom keeps you stable even when battling the most ferocious whitecaps. The high backrest gives you the support you need while the contoured seat cushion keeps you secure without sacrificing comfort.
Whether surfing or playboating, you’ll want the NRS Kayak Outfitter Seat since it gives you everything you’ll need, including:
A durable nylon fabric seat built to handle even the most harsh whitewater kayaking conditions.
Back and neck support from a high backrest with built in lumbar cushion. No matter how fast the water is moving, you’ll stay stable and comfortable.
A contoured seat bottom that’s a snug fit but has enough high-density foam padding to keep you comfortable even during long paddling sessions.
Adjustable straps for a personalized fit.
Four built-in brass clips for easy attachment to most kayaks.
Touring: Sea Eagle Deluxe Inflatable Kayak Seat
Touring kayaking is exactly what it sounds like. It involves long trips on the open water, whether out on the ocean or a large lake. For someone on a touring kayaking trip, a seat that is comfortable, lightweight, and easy to pack is a must.
The Sea Eagle Deluxe Inflatable Kayak Seat is all that and more. Weighing just two pounds, it easily fits in small spaces. The inflatable seat can be adjusted to whatever firmness is desired or needed. The portability doesn’t sacrifice support, however. A high backrest and contoured seat bottom give you plenty of stability and comfort for the long haul.
The lightweight seat is easy to pack and won’t weigh you down during the land-based parts of your adventure.
Being inflatable, the seat can be exactly customized to your needed or desired level of firmness.
Fatigue during long paddling sessions is reduced largely due to a large backrest that offers essential back and neck support.
A contoured seat bottom gives a snug fit for both calm and choppy waters.
The seat is covered with a water-resistant fabric that can withstand the rigors of open water kayaking.
Sit-On-Top Kayaking: BKC Universal Sit-On-Top Full Kayak Seat
Sit-on-top kayaking involves paddling in an open cockpit with no enclosed seating area. Increasingly popular, this particular kind of kayaking requires a specific kind of kayak seat that allows ease of movement but is still supportive and comfortable.
The BKC Universal Sit-On-Top Full Kayak Seat is the best choice for sit-on-top kayaking. The contoured backrest means you don’t sacrifice support for freedom of movement and can still maintain excellent posture.
A high-density foam seat bottom provides a comfortable and stable seating surface. Most importantly, since it is fully adjustable it fits most sit-on-top kayaks.
- The fully adjustable seat fits most sit-on-top kayaks.
- The contoured backrest provides necessary lumbar support while promoting good posture and reducing fatigue during long paddling sessions.
- A high-density foam seat cushion provides a comfortable and stable seating surface, reducing pressure points and allowing for ease of movement.
- Built in brass clips make the seat easy to adjust no matter your size or height.
- Four brass clips make attaching the kayak seat a breeze.
Stand-Up Paddleboarding: YakPads Paddle Saddle Gel Filled Kayak Seat
Stand-up paddleboarding (or SUP) is for kayakers who don’t take life sitting down. They still need an appropriate kayak seat, however. A SUP kayak seat must provide support and stability while standing.
The YakPads Paddle Saddle Gel Filled Kayak Seat is our first choice for SUP adventures. Specifically designed to be placed on the board, it provides a stable and comfortable seating surface. The gel-filled cushion contours to your body, providing excellent support and comfort. A non-slip bottom secures the seat in place and keeps it from sliding around, meaning you can focus on your paddling.
The seat is specifically designed to be placed on the board for stand up paddleboarding, providing comfort and stabliity.
- A gel-filled cushion contours to your body, meaning you don’t need to sacrifice comfort.
- The non-slip bottom keeps the seat securely in place on the board so you never have to worry about slipping.
- The seat is lightweight and easy to pack, making it ideal for travel and outdoor adventures.